"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts,
His acts being seven ages. At first the infant,
Mewling and puking in the nurse's arms.
And then the whining school-boy, with his satchel
And shining morning face, creeping like snail
Unwillingly to school. And then the lover,
Sighing like furnace, with a woeful ballad
Made to his mistress' eyebrow. Then a soldier,
Full of strange oaths and bearded like the pard,
Jealous in honour, sudden and quick in quarrel,
Seeking the bubble reputation
Even in the cannon's mouth. And then the justice,
In fair round belly with good capon lined,
With eyes severe and beard of formal cut,
Full of wise saws and modern instances;
And so he plays his part. The sixth age shifts
Into the lean and slipper'd pantaloon,
With spectacles on nose and pouch on side,
His youthful hose, well saved, a world too wide
For his shrunk shank; and his big manly voice,
Turning again toward childish treble, pipes
And whistles in his sound. Last scene of all,
That ends this strange eventful history,
Is second childishness and mere oblivion,
Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything"
Today I had a reckoning with my past, and shared it with some very special people. It is true, all the world's a stage. But to be ON the stage in the stage of the world is something that very few people get to understand, they are totally oblivious to the power felt behind the proscenium, to depth in words, and the worlds that those very words lend to.
I feel at home and content knowing that there's a stage under my feet and words in my head. That there are worlds that are soon to escape and that I can tens to thousands of people with me on that journey, and they can feel what I feel and see what I see. It is a terrible paradox, the theater. For some reason we are constantly in awe at it. But we all know the stories, we all know the music, we all know the people and actors and cast and crew and even have read the books that these productions are based off of. But when we GO to theater, there is a resolute energy there, a power beyond you or I that extends past the security of our own conscience or realm of personal confidence.
The theater; the one place in the world where the mind
can create a new world in the confines of the stage, and the one place where
the world believes that it actually exists. This is the trap of the theater, to
be sucked into thinking how you would normally not think, to catch yourself and
to spite the character by simply thinking the opposite. The theater magically
turns apathy to empathy, laughter to tears, and gripping emotion to relief and
happiness. I believe happiness comes when we understand that the character has
realized what we realize and he has made a better life for himself. I
think the tragic feeling is invoked in us when we are in the presence of a
character who is ready to lay down his life, if need be, to secure one thing --
his sense of personal dignity. These are the real life quests that make us
question our entire existence and ourselves as human beings, we begin to say: “I
would never have thought that. You can't do that. That's very strange, practically
unbelievable. That has to stop.” The suffering of this or that person grips me,
because there is an escape for him, because I know something this or that
character doesn't. That's great art — nothing is self-evident. I am made to
laugh about those who cry, and cry about those who laugh and in the end we are
all better people because of it. The audience brings their input and the actors
bring their experience. Now imagine, together we have created a world where
anything is possible and we all give and we all take. The Theater! Such a splendid marvel, and such a timeless classic.
I cannot begin to emphasize the powerful relationships that I had forged on that stage, that I visited today. So many "tamings" if you will, so many powerful friendships and wonderful memories. There are people in particular that I think of, every time I walk a certain way, or every time I talk a certain way, listen to a certain song, play a certain game, and all of it is due to the Theater. This is my life, this is my living, my lively hood... what I'm good at. I feel so empowered when I can share my knowledge and experience with those who have not yet come to a full knowledge of the craft that they are practicing. I felt so fatherly, giving the advice to my children whom I had tamed in years past, and who were so eager to hear what I had to say to them. They brought me such a peace, such a wonderful joy and happiness to my heart! I never wanted anything more in that moment than to love those children and let them know how much they are loved, how talented they are, and what good they are doing for the world. I am astounded to think that this is my craft, that this is my joy and my future, and that I have been lucky enough to work and learn and perform FOR and WITH some of the greatest this world has seen. From community theater to international dance, from physical acting to clowning, choir to chamber instrumentalists, my talents have lead me near and far, and I am so excited for what they will bring me in the future. I pray it would be full of rich, wonderful, exciting and fulfilling opportunities, not just my life, but yours as well... yes... you reading! I wish you the greatest joy, just like I have found in the written word, in the sung lyric, in the unspoken song, and in the physical portrayal of the Universe. How wonderfully blessed I am. It is an amazing thing. I don't think I could emphasize that enough. How luck I am. All the world's a stage, and I am ready to touch every living inch of it, and learn from every speck of dust that lies barren on that stage. My love and my wishes to all of you, until next time :D
No comments:
Post a Comment